The Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Prakash Javadekar recently addressed the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS).
WSDS was organized on June 4, on the eve of World Environment Day.
Theme of Summit:
World Sustainable Development Summit 2021 was held under theme “Redefining our common future: Safe & Secure Environment for All”.
- At the summit, MoEFCC Minister underlined the importance of water conservation by adopting conservation technologies and changing water use habits.’
- He said that the availability of water is continuously declining and the agriculture sector alone consumes 85% of available water.
- Thus, water conservation methods should be used in Agriculture to manage available water resources efficiently.
About World Sustainable Development Summit:
The World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) is the annual flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
The WSDS brings together Nobel laureates, political leaders, decision-makers from bilateral and multilateral institutions, business leaders, high-level functionaries from the diplomatic corps, scientists and researchers, media personnel, and members of civil society; on a common platform to deliberate on issues related to sustainable development.
Aim of the WSDS:
WSDS aims to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community by assembling the various stakeholders on a single platform and initiating a step in the direction of achieving constructive action in combating issues pertinent to the future of humanity.
Sustainable Development Leadership Award:
In 2005, The Energy and Resources Institute established The Sustainable Development Leadership Award to felicitate the efforts of global leaders in the field of sustainable development.
World Environment Day 2021:
- World environment day is celebrated on June 5 every year.
- It is a flagship day of the United Nations (UN) to promote worldwide awareness and action on the environment.
- This year, Pakistan is hosting the world environment day in partnership with UN Environment Programme (UNEP) under the theme ‘ecosystem restoration.