World Press Freedom Day is being observed on 3rd May 2021.
This day is celebrated on the 3rd of May every year.
Theme for 2021:
- This year’s World Press Freedom Day theme “Information as a Public Good” serves as a call to affirm the importance of cherishing information as a public good.
- In his message, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres urged all governments to do everything in their power to support a free, independent and diverse media.
- He said, in many countries, journalists and media workers face censorship, abuse, harassment, detention and even death simply for doing their jobs.
- As per the UNESCO Website, World Press Freedom Day was announced by the UN General Assembly in December 1993, following the recommendation of UNESCO’s General Conference.
- Since then, every year World Press Day is celebrated on May 3. As per UNESCO, the purpose of World Press Freedom Day is to:
- Celebrate the fundamental principles of press freedom
- Assess the state of press freedom throughout the world
- Defend the media from attacks on their independence
- Pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the line of duty
- Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right and the press plays an actively important role in making the general public aware of what’s happening in their country and around the world.
- The World Press Freedom Day is observed as a day to remind the governments of the world about the role journalists’ play, in providing information even under the most stressful situations.