Every year the World Book and Copyrights Day is celebrated on April 23 by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
The Day is celebrated to recognize and promote the benefit of reading books, publishing and copyright.
This year will be the 25th edition of World Book Day.
World Book Day 2021: Theme
This year, to celebrate the World Book and Copyright Day, UNESCO has created “Bookface Challenge”.
Each year, UNESCO and the international organizations representing the three major sectors of the book industry — publishers, booksellers, and libraries — select the World Book Capital for a one-year period, through its own initiatives, the impetus of the Day’s celebrations, effective April 23 each year.
The UNESCO Prize for Children’s and Young People’s Literature in the Service of Tolerance is awarded on this day. Also, the day seeks to increase the understanding of copyright laws and other measures that protect intellectual properties.
World Book Capital
As per UNESCO, the city of Tbilisi in Georgia was selected as the World Book Capital for 2021.
In 1995, UNESCO decided to celebrate April 23 as World Book Day or World Book and Copyright Day, and since then, the date has prominence in the history of literature.
World Book Day, also known as World Book and Copyright Day, or International Day of the Book, is an annual event organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization to promote reading, publishing, and copyright.
Why was April 23rd chosen as World Book Day?
April 23 was chosen as World Book Day because this day marks the death and birth anniversary of many other prominent authors, such as Maurice Druon, Haldor K.Laxness, Vladimir Nabokov, Josep Pla, and Manuel Mejía Vallejo.
World Book Day in different regions is celebrated as follows:
- In Spain, the World Book Day is being celebrated since 1926 on October 7 because Miguel de Cervantes was born on this day.
- In Catalonia (Spain), the World Book Day is celebrated as St George’s Day since 1436. On this day, people exchange gifts between loved ones. Catalonia is an autonomous community in Spain.
- In Sweden, the World Book Day is called the Varldsbokdagen. It is celebrated on April 13.
- In UK and Ireland, they organise an event called the “World Book Night” to celebrate the World Book Day.
- The World Book Day is celebrated as a street festival in the US.