World Athletics Rankings: The Indian javelin thrower, Neeraj Chopra, has gained 14 places to become world No. 2 in the latest World Athletics Rankings after his sensational performance in the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- Neeraj Chopra has been ranked second with a score of 1315.
- He is only behind German athlete Johannes Vetter who is having a score of 1396.
- Neeraj, on August 7, 2021, had scripted history by becoming the first Indian to win gold in track and field in the Olympics.
- Chopra threw the javelin to a distance of 87.58m and picked the yellow metal at the Tokyo Games.
- His historic golden throw in the Olympics has also been listed as one of the 10 magical moments of athletics (track and field) in the Tokyo Olympics by the World Athletics.
- Following his win, Neeraj has also become the most followed track & field athlete in the world with the number of followers on Instagram at 3.2 million.
About Neeraj Chopra:
- He is an Indian track and field athlete, competing in the javelin throw.
- He is the Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) in the Indian Army.
- He is also the first track and field athlete who won IAAF World U20 Championships.
- In 2016, he achieved the under-20 world record of 86.48 m.
- After Abhinav Bindra, he is the second Indian to win a Gold Medal at the Olympics.
- He has also become the youngest-ever Indian gold medalist in the individual event and the first to win gold in his Olympic debut.