World Athletics Day 2021: World Athletics Day (WAD) is celebrated each year in the month of May to create awareness about the importance of exercising.
- This year, the World Athletics Day will be held for the majority of the federations on the May 5 and for the remainder on May 12.
- The date of observation is subjected to change as International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) decides the date every year, but the month remains the same which is May.
Objectives of WAD:
World Athletics Day falls under the social responsibility project of IAAF ‘Athletics for a Better World.’ So the main objectives are as follows:
- To boost participation in athletics among youngsters.
- To popularize sports among the youth and establish a link between the youth, sport, and environmental conservation.
- To make people aware of the various health issues.
- To create awareness about the importance of fitness.
- To promote athletics as the primary sport in schools and institutions.
- To establish athletics as the number one participation sport in schools all over the world.
- World Athletics Day was originally celebrated in 1996 for the first time.
- The observation of the day was initiated by Primo Nebiolo, the then-president of IAAF.
- The World Athletics Day is an event sponsored and organized by the IAAF. All around this day is celebrated in schools and colleges.
- Many athletic and sports competitions take place on this day in institutions celebrating World Athletics Day.
- World Athletics was formerly known as the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) and International Association of Athletics Federations.
- It is the international governing body for the sport of athletics, covering track and field, cross country running, road running, race walking, mountain running and ultra running.
- It was founded on 17 July 1912 in Stockholm, Sweden.
- It is headquartered in Monaco.
- The current President of World Athletics is Sebastian Coe.
World Athletics Championships:
The World Athletics Championships 2021 will be hosted in Eugene (Oregon), the United States of America in 2022, and the next World Athletics Championships will be hosted in Budapest, Hungary in 2023.
Note: The World Athletics Championships are held every two years. The 2021 championship was postponed due to the ongoing pandemic.