WFP-ICRISAT Partnership: The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) have recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on programs and research to improve food, nutrition security and livelihoods in India against the impacts of climate change.
- The MoU was signed on 23 September 2021, between WFP India representative and country director Bishow Parajuli and Director-General ICRISAT Jacqueline Hughes.
- The partnership of WFP-ICRISAT will work in collaboration to promote research, advocacy and raise awareness regarding the traditional nutritious crops, undertaking food & nutritional security analysis.
- This partnership aims at generating ideas and frameworks for policy positions relevant not just for India but regularly and globally.
- This is a strategic partnership between the WFP and ICRISAT as both are aligned by their vision of food security, especially for the poorest and most vulnerable communities.
- This partnership strengthens efforts to bring together science, knowledge and implementation frameworks to bolster food security, nutrition and livelihoods that are resilient to climate change.
- The WFP-ICRISAT partnership signing coincides with the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit.
- This MoU is of more significance as it was signed in the light of frequent and increasing number of climate crisis and shocks such as the COVID-19 pandemic which has worsened the hunger situation globally and posed a threat to food security, nutrition, and the livelihoods of millions.
About World Food Programme (WFP):
- The WFP is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations.
- It is the world’s largest humanitarian organization.
- It is the largest one that focuses on hunger and food security, and it is also the largest provider of school meals.
- It was founded in 1961.
- It is headquartered in Rome, Italy.
- It has offices in 80 countries.
- The ICRISAT (full form is International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics) is an international organization that conducts agricultural research for rural development.
- ICRISAT was founded in 1972 while its charter was signed by the FAO and the UNDP.
- It is headquartered in Patancheru, Hyderabad.
- Other regional centres include Bamako in Mali, Kano in Nigeria, Nairobi in Kenya Niamey in Niger, Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, Lilongwe in Malawi.