SN Ghormade: Vice Admiral Satish Namdeo Ghormade who is a navigation and direction specialist, on July 31, 2021, assumed charge as the new Vice Chief of the Naval Staff.
- He has succeeded Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar who retired after 39 years of service.
- Prior to taking charge as the Vice Chief of the Naval Staff, Ghormade was serving as the Deputy Chief of the Integrated Defence Staff (Operations and Training) since March 8.
About Vice Chief of the Naval Staff:
- The Vice Chief of the Naval Staff is the second-highest-ranking officer in the Indian Navy.
- The Vice Chief of the Naval Staff is a Principal Staff Officer (PSO) at Naval HQ in New Delhi.
- The post is held by a Three-Star Officer in the rank of Vice-Admiral.
- He reports to the Chief of the Navy Staff.
- The Vice Chief is responsible for Naval operations.
About Vice Admiral Ghormade:
- He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla, Naval Staff College at the US Naval War College in Rhode Island, and the Naval War College, Mumbai.
- He was commissioned in the Indian Navy on Jan 1, 1984, and is known as a navigation and direction specialist.
- His important staff appointments ashore included assistant chief of personnel (human resources development), principal director of personnel, and director of naval plans at naval headquarters.
- In the rank of Vice-Admiral, he has held the challenging and coveted appointments of director-general naval operations, chief of staff Eastern Naval Command, and controller personnel services.
- He is currently serving as the 36th Vice Chief of the Naval Staff.
- He has been awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) on January 26, 2017, and Nausena Medal (NM) in 2007 by the President of India, and a Commendation by the Chief of the Naval Staff in 2000.
During Vice Admiral Kumar’s tenure –
- The Navy had seen an increase in budget allocations with 100% utilization of the allocated budget with a capital acquisition boost.
- The first-ever procurement case under the Strategic Partnership model for Project 75(I) was successfully progressed for issuance of Request For Proposal (RFP).
- The Navy’s INS Airavat rescued a fishing vessel that was adrift near the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.