Veteran Israeli politician, Isaac Herzog, has been elected as the President of the country.
- He was elected on June 01, 2021, during the 120 members parliamentary election for 2021.
- The 60-year-old Herzog will be the 11th President of Israel, assuming office with effect from July 09, 2021.
- He will be succeeding Reuven Rivlin, who is set to complete his tenure in July 2021 after seven years in office.
About Isaac Herzog:
- He is a former Labor leader who will be the first Israeli President who is the son of a former president.
- His father Chaim Herzog served as Israel’s Head of State between 1983 and 1993.
- He is currently the head of the Jewish Agency – a nonprofit that works with the government to promote immigration to Israel.
- He has served as a lawmaker in the Israeli Knesset between 2003 and 2018, also serving as minister with various portfolios.
- His grandfather, Rabbi Yitzhak Halevi Herzog, was both the first chief rabbi of Ireland, for over a decade, and then Ashkenazi chief Rabbi of British Mandatory Palestine from 1936 until 1959.
- The President-elect began his political career as the Cabinet Secretary to Prime Minister Ehud Barak between 1999 and 2000.
- Israel formally known as the State of Israel is a country in Western Asia.
- It is located on the southeastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea and the northern shore of the Red Sea.
- It is regarded as the biblical Holy Land by Jews, Muslims and Christians.
- Its most sacred sites are in Jerusalem which is also the Capital of Israel.
- The currency used here is the Israeli Shekel.
- The current President and Prime Minister of Israel is Benjamin Netanyahu.