UPSC Helpline Number: The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) recently launched a toll-free helpline number for job aspirants.
- This facility will help the government job aspirants belonging to economically weaker sections and backward classes among others.
- The helpline number will be operational on all the working days in office hours.
- This initiative is a part of UPSC’s efforts of undertaking queries of such candidates in a friendly manner.
- It is also a part of celebrations under the ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’, commemorating the 75th anniversary of India’s Independence.
- The commission has opened a helpline, toll free number 1800118711, with the objective to assist candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBC), Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) and Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD), who have applied or are intending to apply for the commission’s examinations or recruitments.
- The Union Public Service Commission, commonly abbreviated as UPSC, is India’s premier central recruiting agency for central government public servants.
- The UPSC conducts civil services examination to select the country’s bureaucrats, diplomats and police officers among others and also holds other tests to recruit government officers.
- The body is responsible for appointments and examinations for Group A and Group B posts under civil services cadre as well as defence services cadre of the central government.
- The agency’s charter is granted by Part XIV of the Constitution of India, titled as Services Under the Union and the States.
- It was formed on 1 October 1926 as Public Service Commission; it was later reconstituted as Federal Public Service Commission by the Government of India Act 1935; only to be renamed as today’s Union Public Service Commission after the independence.