Himalayan Film Festival: Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Shri Anurag Thakur, on 24th September 2021, inaugurated the star-studded five days‘First Himalayan Film Festival at Sindhu Sanskriti Kendra, Leh, Ladakh.
- Himalayan Film festival will run for five days from September 24 to 28.
- The film festival will be held at the Sindhu Sanskriti Kendra in Leh.
- The five-day film festival is a part of the celebrations of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ commemorating 75 years of India’s Independence.
- Keeping in view the PM’s call for ‘Jan Bhagidhari’, the film festival will have active participation from the local filmmakers and will showcase talent across12 Himalayan states and UTs.
- This festival is being organized by Leh in association with the Directorate of Film Festivals under Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- The main aim of organizing this festival is to create an interactive and exposure platform in order to promote aspiring local filmmakers as well as to showcase Ladakh as an attractive film destination.
About the IHR:
- IHR is the abbreviation for the Indian Himalayan Region.
- IHR is the section of the Himalayas within India, spanning 11 Indian states and union territories, namely the regions of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh administered by India as UTs, and states of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Meghalaya and Assam.
- The region is responsible for providing water to a large part of the Indian subcontinent and contains various flora and fauna.
- The most characteristic features of the Himalayas are their great height, complex geologic structure, snowcapped peaks, large valley glaciers, deep river gorges, and rich vegetation.
- Himalayan region of India attracts filmmakers from worldwide due to its unique scenic endowment.
Thus, the Film festival presents an opportunity for local filmmakers in order to narrate their stories to a wider audience.
The ‘Himalayan Film Festival’ also envisions institutionalizing a Himalayan Film Fraternity which will have productive repercussions for filmmaking in the Himalayan parts of India.