Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan recently chaired the 74th World Health Assembly virtually.
Director-General of the World Health Organization Dr Tedros was also present on the occasion.
Note: Dr Harsh Vardhan is the Chairman of WHO Executive Board.
Key Points At the Meet:
- Dr Harsh Vardhan noted that the Board called for further efforts to ensure fair and equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines through the COVAX Facility.
- He said, the Board engaged in discussions on COVID-19 impact on global health.
- The Board recommended that the 74th World Health Assembly must consider the report on mental health preparedness and response for the Covid-19 pandemic.
- It also recommended endorsing the updated comprehensive Mental Health Action Plan for the period of 2013 to 2030.
- The Board also encouraged WHO to work closely with the World Organisation for Animal Health and the Food and Agriculture Organisation to identify the zoonotic source of the virus.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan has said, the Board decided to encourage Member States to take further action to address diabetes as a public health problem.
- He said, the Board has recommended that the 74th World Health Assembly should adopt a decision to present a road map for the global action plan for prevention and control of non-communicable diseases till the year 2030.
- It is an acronym for World Health Organization.
- WHO was created in 1948 by member states of the United Nations (UN) as a specialized agency with a broad mandate for international public health.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The main objective of WHO is “the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible standard of health.” It plays an essential role in the global governance of health and disease.
- Its mission is to improve people’s lives, reduce the burdens of disease and poverty, and provide access to responsive health care for all people.
- The WHO is governed by two decision-making bodies, the World Health Assembly and the Executive Board. The current Director-general of WHO is Tedros Adhanom.
Source: News On Air