Trigonopterus corona: Recently, 28 new species of beetles have been discovered on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, by museum scientists.
- The species, all of which measure 2-3 mm, are described in the journal Zookeys.
- One of them has been named Trigonopterus corona.
- This reflects the large impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on this project, Pensoft Publishers, which brings out the journal, said in a blog spot.
Other species named after the Pandemic:
- It is not the only insect species to be named after the pandemic. In April, a new species of caddisfly (a moth-like insect) was collected near a stream in Kosovo by a team of scientists, and named Potamophylax coronavirus (Biodiversity Data Journal).
- The same month, out of six new species of Brazilian wasps described in the Journal of Hymenoptera Research, one was named Allorhagas quarentenus, a reference to the quarantine, which occurred while the authors were describing the species.
- And earlier this month, out of five new wasp species discovered in Mexico, scientists named one Stethantyx covida (Zookeys).