Tokyo Olympics 2020: The 32nd edition of the Olympics has come to an end after a jam-packed action of 15 days.
- The Tokyo 2020 Olympics were declared closed on 8th August 2021 by IOC chief Thomas Bach, who called the pandemic-delayed Games the “most challenging Olympic journey.
- The theme of the ceremony was unitedly moving forward despite the challenges thrown at the world.
- With a moment of silence, the ceremony then remembered all the people who lost their lives during the pandemic, members of the Israeli delegation killed during the 1972 Munich Games massacre, the 2011 earthquake, the Tsunami, and the nuclear disaster.
- The next Olympics will be held in Paris, France in 2024.
- The Olympic flag was passed to Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo.
- India registered its best-ever medal tally, finished 48th with solitary Gold medal
- Wrestler Bajrang Punia led the Indian contingent out during the parade of athletes during the closing ceremony of Tokyo 2020.
- The Tokyo Olympics 2020 or officially the Games of the XXXII Olympiad was held from July 23 to August 8, 2021, in Tokyo, Japan.
- The quadrennial event was earlier scheduled to be held from July 24 to August 9 in the year 2020 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Olympic Games for the second time, the first being in 1964, this will be the fourth Olympic event to be conducted in Japan, including two Winter Olympics in 1972 and 1998.
- The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games mascot was named Miraitowa.
- It is a tribute to both the respected tradition and modern innovation of Japanese culture.
- The Tokyo Olympics 2020 mascot has a personality inspired by the Japanese proverb, “learn from the past and develop new ideas”.
Spirit of the whole Olympic movement:
- One moment summed up the spirit of the whole Olympic movement that was the men’s high jump.
- Qatar’s Mutaz Barshim and Italy’s Gianmarco Tamberi, both of whom have returned from the same career-threatening injury, agreed to share the gold medal and both exploded in joy when officials agreed.
Key Highlights of the winners:
- A record 83 nations reached the finals, there were 43 teams on the podium and 23 won gold.
- There were three world records, 12 Olympic records, 28 area records and 151 national records set.
- The official rankings and medal tally of the top ten countries from the Tokyo Olympics 2020 are as follows:
|Rank||Team/NOC||Gold||Silver||Bronze||Total||Rank by Total|
|1||United States of America||39||41||33||113||1|
|2||People’s Republic of China||38||32||18||88||2|
India’s Olympics Medals:
With seven medals, including one gold, two silver, and four bronze medals, in the Tokyo Games, India has registered its best-ever performance in the Olympics.