Ranjitsinh Disale, who is a primary school teacher from Paritewadi in Solapur in Maharashtra, has recently been appointed by the World Bank as an Advisor to the World Bank.
- Disale, 32, was named the winner of the Global Teacher Prize 2020 in recognition of his efforts to promote girls’ education and trigger a quick-response (QR) coded textbook revolution in India.
- The International Technical Advisory Board comprises 12 individuals from the domains of research, policymaking, and teaching.
- Disale will be joining 11 others on the World Bank’s recently launched Global Coach Programmes.
- He will be an advisor to the World Bank till December 2024.
About Global Coach Program:
- The World Bank has recently launched a new Coach initiative that aims to accelerate student learning by improving in-service teacher professional development (TPD) programs and systems.
- This program forms part of the World Bank’s broader agenda to tackle the global learning crisis (WDR, 2018).
- The Coach focuses on supporting countries to improve in-service TPD through a two-pronged approach.
- The Coach Program focuses on helping countries transform their TPD programs and policies to ones that adhere to a set of four key principles that have been shown to be linked to improved teaching quality.
- The objectives of this program are as follows:
- To increase the level of educational attainment of children around the world.
- To bring more coherence in the in-service training program for teachers around the world.
- To provide timely training to teachers.
- To develop leadership qualities in teachers through training.
- Disale’s work through the Advisory Board will impact the work World Bank on the ground, currently supporting over 18 million teachers around the world.
About World Bank:
- The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of poorer countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects.
- It comprises two institutions which are the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and the International Development Association.
- It is headquartered in Washington, D.C., United States.
- It was founded on July 1944 by John Maynard Keynes and Harry Dexter White.
- Its main aim is providing financing, advice, and research to developing nations to aid their economic advancement.
- The bank predominantly acts as an organization that attempts to fight poverty by offering developmental assistance to middle- and low-income countries.
- The current President of World Bank is David Malpass.