Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2021: The “Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2021” under Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) Phase -II was recently launched by the Minister of State of Jal Shakti Ministry, Shri Prahlad Singh Patel.
- This event was organized by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS).
- Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2021 will be undertaken by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) across the country.
- DDWS has also commissioned the Survekshan in 2018 and 2019 earlier.
- This programme was launched with an aim to support the acceleration of ODF Plus interventions and increase momentum for improving ODF Sustainability as well as Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM) activities across the villages in the country.
- The Phase II of SBM (G) aims at achieving the goal of comprehensive cleanliness or Sampoorna Swachhata by addressing ODF Sustainability and SLWM issues.
Key Points about the Scheme:
- As part of the Survekshan, Villages, Districts and States would be ranked using key parameters.
- As part of Swachh Survekshan, Grameen 17,475 villages in 698 Districts across India will be covered.
- Around 87,250 public places namely schools, anganwadis, public health centres, haat/bazaars/religious places in these 17,475 villages will be visited for a survey.
- In line with the Swachh Bharat Mission phase II program, SSG 2021 would focus on assessing ODF Sustainability & Implementation of ODF Plus in the villages.
- Many new elements have been added to the SSG 2021. These elements include –
- Assessment of Solid, Liquid
- Plastic Waste & faecal Sludge Management Arrangements
- Awareness of Menstrual Hygiene
- Management & Disposal Arrangements for Menstrual Waste
- India achieved the challenge of ODF declaration of all villages in a mission mode in five years period of 2014-2019.
- The vision of Swachh Bharat triggered the Behavior Change to end open defecation by the construction of more than 10 crore toilets.
- It also led to Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) to address water security.
SSG 2021 mobile App:
- Under this phase, a mobile app named “SSG 2021 mobile app” will also be made available in major local Indian languages.
- This App will help in getting feedback from citizens and using it survey will be well monitored through frequent field visits.
The weights to different elements of the SSG 2021 are as below:
- Direct Observation of sanitation in villages including HHs/public places -30%
- Citizen’s Feedback including feedback from common citizens, key influencers at the village level and from citizens online using a mobile App -35%
- Service Level Progress on sanitation-related parameters -35%
About Swachh Bharat Initiative:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 2 October 2014 had launched the Swachh Bharat initiative.
- This initiative was launched on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- It was launched with an aim to eradicate open defecation by 2 October 2019, the 150th anniversary of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Under it, a national behaviour change movement was started comprising of two following primary yardsticks:
- People’s participation.
- With the help of this movement, the Swachh Bharat initiative succeeded in achieving its goal of safe sanitation across rural India.