Iran has recently launched its supercomputer called Simorgh.
This supercomputer is hundred times more powerful than the previous Iranian supercomputers.
This important development ranks Iran among the 10 countries with the petaflops knowledge.
- The Supercomputer has been named after the benevolent Phoenix-like bird called the Simurgh.
- It was developed by the Amirkabir University of Technology in Tehran, the capital of Iran.
- It is located at the Iranian High-Performance Computing Research Centre (IHPCRC).
- The performance capacity of the Simorgh Supercomputer is 0.56 petaflops.
- It is to reach 1 petaflop in two months.
- In its subsequent levels, it is to reach a speed of 10 petaflops.
- It comprises of 42 racks in an area of 250 square metres.
- In future, this is to be upgraded to 400 square metres.
- The total budget of the supercomputer is expected to be 9 million USD.
- The Supercomputer is to be used for image processing, artificial intelligence workload, traffic and weather data.
- It will also be used for cloud hosting local private firms.
- The supercomputer is said to be wholly designed and built by a team of Iranian engineers, who developed the country’s first supercomputer a decade ago, but some of its hardware has been imported.
- As United States (US) had imposed sanctions on Iran and the doors of business is completely closed to the country.
- The US had imposed anti terrorism trade sanctions and has been trying to slow down its nuclear programme for decades.
- Therefore, Iran must have got the US chips used in supercomputers illegally.
- Iran is using bitcoin mining facilities to buy required raw materials from US and other countries.
- Most of these are illegal under the sanctions imposed against the country.
In 2001, the Amirkabir University developed a 32-node PC based on Intel Pentium processors.
Again in 2007, the country had its hands on 216 AMD cores which in turn led to the most powerful supercomputer of all time.
- Iran also called Persia, and officially the Islamic Republic of Iran is a country in Western Asia.
- It is bordered to the northwest by Armenia and Azerbaijan,to the north by the Caspian Sea, to the northeast by Turkmenistan, to the east by Afghanistan and Pakistan, to the south by the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, and to the west by Turkey and Iraq.
- Its central location in Eurasia and Western Asia, and its proximity to the Strait of Hormuz, give it geostrategic importance.
- The capital of Iran is Tehran.
- The currency used there is Iranian Rial.
- The current President of Iran is Hassan Rouhani.