The Ministry of Defence has recently implemented the SPARSH (System for Pension Administration (Raksha).
- SPARSH System is an integrated system for automation of sanction and disbursement of defence pension.
- This web-based system processes pension claims and credits pension directly into the bank accounts of defence pensioners without relying on any external intermediary.
- A Pensioner Portal is available for pensioners to view their pension-related information, access services and register complaints about redressal of grievances, if any, relating to their pension matters.
About the SPARSH:
- The full form of SPARSH is System for Pension Administration Raksha.
- SPARSH envisages the establishment of Service Centres to provide last-mile connectivity to pensioners who may be unable to directly access the SPARSH portal for any reason.
- In addition to several offices of the Defence Accounts Department, which are already functioning as Service Centres for pensioners, the two largest banks dealing with defence pensioners – Punjab National Bank (PNB) and State Bank of India (SBI) – have been co-opted as Service Centres.
- MoD refers to the Ministry of Defence.
- It was created in 1776 which is 244 years ago as Military Department by the British East India Company at Kolkata but on 15 August 1947, the Department of Defence became the Ministry of Defence under a cabinet minister.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- It is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the Indian armed forces.
- The President of India is the ceremonial commander-in-chief of the armed forces of the country.
- The responsibility for national defence rests with the Cabinet.
- The function of MoD is to provide policy framework and resources to the armed forces to discharge their responsibility in the context of the defence of the country.
- The Indian Armed Forces (including the Indian Army, Indian Air Force, Indian Navy) and Indian Coast Guard under the Ministry of Defences are primarily responsible for ensuring the territorial integrity of the nation.
- The current Defence Minister is Rajnath Singh.