Singapore Open 2022: Ace Indian Shuttler PV Sindhu has won the Singapore Open 2022.
- She acquired the first Super 500 title in her career, after defeating Asian champion Wang Zhi Yi from China.
- She secured the title, by defeating Wang Zhi Yi by 21-9, 11-21, 21-15 in the final of the Singapore Open.
- This is her first 500 or better since the world championship win in 2019.
- In 2022 she also won two titles in Super 300, before this win.
- However, she has made it to the semi-finals 7 times and quarters 10 times in 13 tournaments.
- The title run will be a big boost for Sindhu, who will be leading India's charge at the Commonwealth Games, starting 28 July in Birmingham.
In men’s Single:
- Anthony Sinisuka Ginting won the men’s singles title at badminton’s Singapore Open 2022.
- Olympic bronze medallist Ginting from Indonesia beat unseeded Japanese player Naraoka Kodai in a closely fought final.
About Singapore Badminton Association:
- Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) is the national governing body for badminton in Singapore.
- It governs, encourages and develops the sport throughout the country.
- The body is an affiliate of Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC).
- SBA is also a member of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) and Badminton Asia.
- As of now, it has 32 member clubs across the country.
- Singapore Open has been held in Singapore annually since 1929.
- The Singapore Open has been categorized as one of the seven BWF World Tour Super 500 events in the BWF events structure since 2018 by the Badminton World Federation.
- In 2023, the tournament will be upgraded to a Super 750 event.
About Badminton World Federation (BWF):
- The Badminton World Federation (BWF) is the international governing body for the sport of badminton recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- It was founded on 5 July 1934 as the International Badminton Federation with nine member nations namely, Canada, England, Denmark, Ireland, France, New Zealand, Netherlands, Wales and Scotland.
- The present name Badminton World Federation (BWF) was adopted at the Extraordinary General Meeting held on 24 September 2006, in Madrid.
- It is headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- The current president of BWF is Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen.
Who won the women's singles title at Singapore Open 2022?
A) Saina Nehwal
B) Wang Zhi Yi
C) PV Sindhu
D) Saena Kawakami