Sudarsan Pattnaik becomes the first Indian to win the Italian Golden Sand Art Award, 2019. He was felicitated at the International Scorrna Sand Nativity Fete in Italy.
Mr Pattnaik created a 10-foot-high sand sculpture of Mahatma Gandhi along with Russian artist Pavel Minilkov. Around 8 sculptors from different countries participated in the event.
Sudarsan Pattnaik was born in 1977 in Puri District of Odisha. He was born in a poor family. The Coastal sea paved way for him to become a sand artist though he wanted to contribute in shaping the field of education.
Sudarsan has participated in more than 60 international sand art festivals. He has so far won 27 championship prizes. He was awarded the Padma Shri by the Indian Government in 2014.
Prizes and Awards
- He won the People’s Choice Prize in Bulgaria in 2016
- In 2013, he won the International Sand Sculpture Competition in Russia
- He also won the International Sand Competition Competition, Denmark
- In 2008, he won the World Champion Title at USF World Sand Sculpture Championship. Berlin.
- He has created records of winning the People’s Choice Award, Germany 5 times.
Source: GK current affairs