In tennis, 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer was defeated by world number 75 Pablo Andujar in the second round of the Geneva Open 2021.
- Spaniard Andujar defeated top-seeded Federer 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
- The Swiss Tennis Maestro Federer made his comeback to the clay court after the 2019 French Open. This tournament was his second in past 15 months.
- With this defeat, Federer’s 32-match winning streak on his Swiss soil ends.
- Andujar could now face Dominic Stephan Stricker in the last eight after the 18-year-old wildcard stunned Marin Cilic on his ATP Tour debut.
- Sixth-seeded Fabio Fognini of Italy beat Argentina’s Guido Pella 6-2, 6-2.
About Geneva Open:
- The Geneva Open is an ATP Tour (formerly Grand Prix) affiliated tennis tournament.
- It was held annually from 1980 to 1991 in Geneva, Switzerland on clay courts.
- The Gonet Geneva Open returned to the Swiss city in 2015 for the first time since 1991.
- In November 2014 the ATP announced that the Düsseldorf tournament would be moved to Geneva where it would be held in 2015 as a 250 tournament.
- The ATP 250 tournament is staged at the Tennis Club de Genève at the Parc des Eaux-Vives, the oldest and largest tennis club in Switzerland.
2021 Geneva Open:
- The 2021 Geneva Open (sponsored by Gonet) is a men’s tennis tournament currently played on outdoor clay courts.
- It is the 18th edition of the Geneva Open and part of the ATP Tour 250 series of the 2021 ATP Tour.