Central Universities Amendment Bill 2022: The Rajya Sabha recently passed the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill 2022 by a voice vote after a brief discussion on 8 August 2022.
- The Lok Sabha had already passed the Bill on August 3 2022.
- The Bill was introduced by Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan in the lower house.
About the Bill:
- The Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022 seeks to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009, to convert the National Rail and Transportation University (NRTI), a deemed-to-be-university, into Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya, an autonomous central institution.
- It also seeks to address the need of talent in the strategically important and expanding transportation sector and meet the demand for trained talent to fuel the growth and expansion of the sector.
- The Vishwavidyalaya will be sponsored and funded by the central government through the Ministry of Railways.
- The Bill provides that Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya will take measures to provide quality teaching, research, and skill development in disciplines related to transportation, technology, and management.
- If required, the University may also establish centres in India and abroad.
- The establishment of the Vishwavidyalaya will address the need of trained talent in the transportation sector.
- By creating master's and doctoral degrees in transportation, the proposed university will stop brain drain, build critical capability, and create capacity.
- It will also go a long way toward making the country independent in the transportation sector thanks to its programmes for skilling and digitising India.
- The National Rail and Transportation Institute was declared a deemed university under the University Grants Commission Act, 1956.
- The University is named after the government's flagship Rs 100 lakh crore PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan for multi-modal connectivity.
About PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan:
- The Gati Shakti Master Plan is essentially a digital platform.
- It brings together 16 ministries, including roadways and railways for integrated planning and coordinated implementation of infrastructure connectivity projects.
- It seeks to incorporate infrastructure schemes of various ministries and state governments such as Sagarmala, Bharatmala, inland waterways, dry and land ports, UDAN.
The Parliament passed the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022 to convert which Institute as Gati Shakti Viswavidhyalaya?
A) National Institute of Science Education and Research
B) National Rail and Transportation University
C) Jawaharlal Nehru University
D) Indira Gandhi National Open University