In tennis, Rafael Nadal beat world number one Novak Djokovic to win a 10th Italian Open title.
- This is Nadal’s tenth title of the Rome Masters.
- The Italian Open, 2021 was held on May 16, 2021 in Rome.
- The Finals was held between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
- Nadal has also equaled Djokovic’s record of 36 ATP Masters 1000 titles in his 12th Rome final.
Note: Italian Open is also known as Rome Masters.
The Women’s Singles title has been won by Polish teenager Iga Swiatek.15th seed Swiatek defeated ninth seed Czech Karolina Pliskova 6-0, 6-0 with what is known as a double bagel score.
In the men’s doubles, the second-seeded Croats Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic powered their way to their sixth Italian Open trophy, beating fifth-seeded Rajeev Ram of the USA and Briton Joe Salisbury the final 6-4, 7-6.
Women’s Doubles title has been clinched by Sharon Fichman and Giuliana Olmos after defeating Kristina Mladenovic and Markéta Vondroušová in the final, 4-6, 7-5, 10-5.
About Rafael Nadal:
- Rafael Nadal is a Spanish Tennis player.
- He is ranked third in the world by the Association of Tennis Professionals.
- He has won 20 Grand Slams, 13 French Open titles so far.
- His record of winning has been maximum in clay courts.
- Novak Djokovic is a Serbian tennis player.
- He is currently ranked number one by the Association of Tennis Professionals.
- He has won eighteen Grand Slams.
- He is the only player to win all the “Big Titles” on the ATP tour.
- The Big Title is a trophy at the Nitto ATP Finals, Grand Slam Championship, ATP Masters 1000 tournament or Olympics Singles gold medals.
About Italian Open:
- It is originally called the Italian International Championship.
- It is a tennis tournament held in Rome, Italy.
- It is a clay tennis tournament.
- There are four different types of tennis court surfaces. They are as follows:
- Clay courts
- Carpet courts
- Hard courts
- Grass courts
- It is an ATP Tours Masters 100 event.
ATP Tours Masters 1000:
- It is a series of nine tennis tournaments featuring top-ranked players.
- It means that not every tennis player can participate in the tournament.
- Currently, the following are the nine tournaments of ATP Tours Masters 1000:
- Paris Masters
- Madrid Open
- Monte-Carlo Masters
- Shanghai Masters
- Cincinnati Masters
- Miami Open
- Indian Wells Masters
- Italian Open
- Canadian Open
- Note: However, these tournaments are different from Grand Slam. The Itinerary of Grand Slam consists of the following:
- French Open
- Australian Open
- US Open