World Cadet Wrestling Championships: Priya Malik has successfully clinched gold at the ongoing World Cadet Wrestling Championships hosted in Hungary on 25th July 2021.
Note: She clinched the gold not in the ongoing Tokyo Olympics but miles away from the Japanese capital- Budapest, Hungary.
- Priya Malik has also become the first athlete to win a gold medal for India in World Wrestling Championship.
- Prior to Priya Malik’s golden run, another Indian wrestler- Varsha had won the bronze medal on Thursday by overcoming Turkey’s Duygu Gen in the 65kg category.
- 16 year old Priya Malik won the women’s 73 kg weight category gold medal by getting the better of Belarus wrestler Kseniya Patapovich 5-0 in the final.
- She won 10-0 in the first round against Milla Andelic (Croatia) and beat Veronika Nyikos (Hungary) easily in the quarter-finals.
- She then dominated Marilla Akulincheva (Russia) in the semi-final.
- Priya Malik has won the gold medal in the 2019 edition of Khelo India in Pune and then went on to clinch gold in the very same year at the 17th School Games that were held in Delhi.
- Apart from these wins, Priya also won two more gold medals the following year i.e. 2020.
- Her next two gold medal triumphs came at the National Cadet Championship in Patna as well as at the National School Games respectively.