Gati Shakti National Master Plan: Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently launched a Rs 100 lakh crore national master plan called “Gati Shakti National Master Plan”.
Gati Shakti is a digital platform collaborating sixteen Central Ministries and Departments for integrated planning and coordination to implement infrastructure connectivity projects of more than 1,200 industrial clusters.
- Gati Shakti National Master Plan was launched for multi-modal connectivity that aims to develop infrastructure to reduce logistic costs and boost the economy.
- PM Gati Shakti seeks to cut logistic costs, reduce turnaround time and increase cargo handling capacity.
- The main aim of the plan is to lend more power and speed to projects by connecting all the concerned departments on one platform.
- Under the plan, infrastructure schemes of several ministries and state governments will be executed and designed with a common vision.
- It also aims to reduce logistic cost and turnaround time in the light that, earlier high logistics cost at 13% of GDP in India was impacting its competitiveness in exports.
- The plan will also give a boost to India as an “investment destination”.
- The private players will not only get a boost to invest in National infrastructure because of easy clearances and monetary help available to them but will also provide last-mile connectivity to the economic zones in a limited timeframe.
- The main purpose of launching this plan was that in the past, taxpayers’ money was insulted through a lethargic approach towards development work.
- Departments were working in silos. Furthermore, there was no coordination on projects.
- So that is why this plan was launched.
- Under this plan development will take place incorporating quality infrastructure in a holistic manner.
Focus areas of the plan:
- Gati shakti plan joins different departments for a coordinated development of projects including from aviation to agriculture and road to railways.
- It will help raise the global profile of local manufacturers and help them compete with their counterparts worldwide.
- It also seeks to also raise possibilities of new future economic zones.