National Service Scheme Awards: President Ram Nath Kovind, on 24th September 2021, conferred the National Service Scheme (NSS) Awards for 2019-20 from Rashtrapati Bhavan in a virtual mode.
- The National Service Scheme (NSS) Awards for the year 2019-20 have been given to 42 awardees in 3 different categories like University/ +2 Councils, NSS Units and their Programme Officers and NSS Volunteers.
- Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Thakur and Minister of State Nisith Pramanik also attended the event.
- The National Service Scheme Award is conferred by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Department of Youth Affairs every year to recognize and reward outstanding contributions towards voluntary community service made by the universities or colleges, (+2) councils, senior secondary, NSS units or programme officers and NSS volunteers, with a view to further promote NSS in the country.
- National Service Scheme (NSS) was established in 1969, on the occasion of the birth centenary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- NSS is a Centrally Sector Scheme launched with the primary objective of developing the personality and character of the student youth through voluntary community service.
- It is a visionary scheme through which students get an opportunity to serve the society and country during their school and college days itself.
- The ideological orientation of the NSS is inspired by the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi. Very appropriately, the motto of NSS is “NOT ME, BUT YOU”.
- The NSS volunteers work on issues of social relevance, which keep evolving in response to the needs of the community, through regular and special camping activities.