India’s mineral and mining sector face an acid test in sustaining growth potential of the economy with the country’s mineral wealth posing both a challenge and an opportunity to geo-scientists, President Pranab Mukherjee said.
Speaking at the prentation ceremony of the National Geoscience Awards-2013 at Rashtrapati Bhavan here, he said that the adverse impact of ecological degradation and climate change has emerged as a major concern the world over.
“There is a need for more objective research by the geo-scientific community in the field of disaster management to mitigate environmental hazards and ensure greater resilience to such adversities,” he said.
He said that the country’s geo-scientific organizations and other institutes have, over the last few decades, invested heavily in analytical and instrumental infrastructure and the scientists should make good use of these instruments to “accomplish significant outcomes to shape geo-science of the future”.
“India’s mineral and mining sector faces an acid test for sustaining the growth potential of our economy. Our mineral endowment poses both a challenge and an opportunity for geo-scientists,” he said.
“The geo-scientists should evolve an efficient work plan for development, conservation and augmentation of these precious mineral resources. They should put forward innovative ideas to achieve sustainable development of our country and at the same time address societal concerns,” he added.
List of the Awardees:
- Prof. Indra Bir Singh – AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE
- Israil Khan – Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Dr. Prabodha Ranjan Sahoo – Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- D. Boopathi – Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Dr. Shubhabrata Mukhopadhyay- Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Dinesh Kumar Rai – Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Jyoti Sankar Roy – Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration
- Subrata Kumar Sardar – Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration
- Anima Gogoi – Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration
- Resmi R.C. – Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration\
- Mohan Das Roy – Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration
- Dr. D. Gnanasundar – Groundwater Exploration
- Dr. M. Senthilkumar – Groundwater Exploration
- N. Ramesh Kumar – Groundwater Exploration
- Dr. Krishna Kant Kumar Singh – Mining Technology
- Dr. Debasis Deb – Mining Technology
- Dr. Ashok Kumar Sahu – Mineral Beneficiation
- Dr. Akshaya Kumar Sarangi – Sustainable Mineral Development
- Dr. Santanu Bose – Basic Geosciences
- Dr. Rajesh Agnihotri – Geo-Environmental Studies
- Dr. Abhay Kumar Singh – Geo-Environmental Studies
- Dr. Parthasarathi Chakraborty – Ocean Development
- Prof. Shakil Ahmad Romshoo – Geo-Information System