Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Prakash Javdekar on 29 June 2021 inaugurated The National Automotive Test Tracks (NATRAX) – the High-Speed Track (HST) located in Pithampur, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
This HST is the longest such track in Asia and world’s fifth-longest in the world.
Speaking at the e-inauguration of the world-class 11.3 km High-Speed Track, Javdekar termed this as a proud moment for India and a key initiative in realizing Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
About NATRAX Facility:
- The NATRAX facility measures 11.3 km in length.
- NATRAX is one of the state-of-the-art automotive testing and certification centre under NATRiP.
- It is a flagship project of the Ministry of Heavy Industries, planned under the Automotive Mission Plan launched by the Centre.
- It is located near the vibrant industrial township of Pithampur (District Dhar), which is 50 km from the commercial capital of Madhya Pradesh i.e. Indore, situated on NH-3 By-Pass Road (Indore– Mumbai).
- The center has been developed in approx 3,000 acres of land.
Power of NATRAX Centre:
- The NATRAX centre has multiple test capabilities like measurements of maximum speed, acceleration, constant speed fuel consumption, emission tests through real road driving simulation, high speed handling and stability evaluation during maneuvered such as lane change, high speed durability testing, etc. and is a Centre of excellence for Vehicle Dynamics.
What is High Speed Track (HST)?
- The High-Speed Track (HST) is used for measuring the maximum speed capability of high-end cars like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Tesla, and so forth which cannot be measured on any of the Indian test tracks.
Key Highlights of HST:
- The high-speed track has been developed in an area of 1000 acres of land.
- It is a one-stop solution for all sorts of high-speed performance tests for the widest categories of vehicles ranging from 2 wheelers to heavy tractor-trailers.
- It will be used for measuring the maximum speed capabilities of high-end cars and other categories of vehicles.
- It also includes different test tracks to aid automotive and component testing.
- It is located centrally in Madhya Pradesh, which makes it accessible for most of the major Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs).
- Foreign Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) will be looking at NATRAX HST for the development of prototype cars for Indian conditions.
- At present, foreign OEMs go to their respective high-speed track abroad for high-speed test requirements.
- The Union Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises is committed to fulfilling the Prime Minister’s dream of ensuring that India becomes a hub of auto manufacturing.
- The expansion of the automobiles and manufacturing industries will help generate employment.
- The promotion of the manufacturing and automobile industry will help to empower the nation at a larger scale.