At the Asian Boxing Championships in Dubai, defending champion Pooja Rani won the gold medal in the 75kg Women’s category while legendary pugilist MC Mary Kom, Lalbuatsaihi, and Anupama finished with silver.
- Tokyo Olympics-bound Pooja defeated Mavluda Movlonova of Uzbekistan 5-0. She had also won the gold medal in the previous edition in 2019 but that was in the 81kg division.
- Earlier, six-time world champion Mary Kom crashed to a narrow split-decision defeat 2-3 against two-time world champion Kazakhstan’s Nazym Kyzaibay in the final of the 51kg category.
- Tournament debutant Lalbuatsaihi also settled for silver medal after losing a hard-fought women’s 64kg final against Kazakhstan’s Milana Safronova via split decision 2-3. Anupama also bagged a silver medal after losing to Kazakhstan’s Lazzat Kungeibayeva in the Women’s Heavy 81kg final.
- On 31st May 2021, Indian male boxers Amit Panghal, Shiva Thapa and Sanjeet will fight it out in the finals.
- Thapa entered the final after defeating defending champion Bakhodur Usmonov of Tajikistan 4-0. He will face Baatarsukh Chinzorig of Mongolia in the final.
- Panghal scored a 5-0 win against Kazakhstan’s Saken Bibossinov to enter the gold medal match of the 54-kg category.
- Indian contingent has already ensured their best-ever show at the Asian Championships by assuring 15 medals so far and bettered the previous highest of 13 medals achieved in the 2019 edition.Varinder Singh settled for bronze in the 60-kg category after losing his semi-final match, as did Vikas Krishan, who retired hurt in the first round of the 69-kg semis bout.