Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the E-100 pilot project in Pune to mark the World Environment Day on 5 May 2021.
- The E-100 project aims to set up a network for the production and distribution of ethanol across the nation.
- PM Modi also released the ‘Report of the Expert Committee on Road Map for ethanol blending in India 2020-2025’.
- The report is in line with the theme for World Environment Day this year – promotion of biofuels for a better environment.
Ethanol Sector in India:
- According to PM Modi, India has taken several steps for the development of the ethanol sector.
- Ethanol has become a major priority of 21st century India because ethanol has a better impact on the environment and the lives of farmers.
- Inline, the Government resolved to achieve a target of 20 percent ethanol blending in petrol by 2025.
- Earlier the resolve was to achieve the target by 2030 which is now preponed by 5 years.
- Till 2014, about 1.5 percent of ethanol used to be blended in India.
- Now it has reached 8.5 percent.
Adoption of Ethanol blending:
Ethanol blending in petrol is being adopted by many countries including India in a bid to reduce vehicle exhaust emissions and reduce the import burden on crude petroleum.
Presently, bioethanol blending in petrol stands at 5%, which can replace around 1.8 million Barrels of crude oil.
What is Ethanol Blending?
An ethanol blend is defined as a blended motor fuel containing ethyl alcohol that is at least 99% pure, derived from agricultural products, and blended exclusively with gasoline.
Ethanol-blended fuels are one pathway to compliance with elements of the federal renewable fuel standard (RFS).
Significance of Ethanol Blending:
Ethanol molecule comprises oxygen which allows the engine to completely combust fuel. This results in fewer emissions and reduces environmental pollution.
Ethanol, being a by-product of the sugar industry, is a renewable source that leads to a net reduction in the emission of Carbon dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and hydrocarbons.
What is ethanol?
- The chemical formula of Ethanol is C2H5OH.
- It is the organic compound Ethyl Alcohol which is produced from biomass.
- It is also an ingredient in alcoholic beverages.
- It has a higher octane number than gasoline, hence improves the petrol octane number.
- Ethanol has an insignificant amount of water in it.