CPI (M) veteran Pinarayi Vijayan, on 20 May 2021 was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Kerala for the second successive term.
- He led the Left Democratic Front (LDF) to an unprecedented consecutive victory in the April 6 assembly polls.
- He and 20 members of his Cabinet were administered the oath of office by Governor Arif Mohammed Khan in a low-key function at the Central Stadium here, which was held completely in adherence with the COVID protocol.
About Pinarayi Vijayan:
- 76-year-old Vijayan’s association with the Communist Paty of India Marxist goes back a long way.
- He started as a youth leader while he was studying at Government Brennen College.
- In 1964, he joined the Communist Party, eventually became Kannur district secretary of Kerala Students’ Federation (KSF), which became the Students Federation of India (SFI).
- He was arrested in 1975, during the Emergency. In 2002, he was elected to the politburo.