The National Health Authority (NHA) has inked an MoU with the Telangana Government for the implementation of Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) in the state with immediate effect.
- The Ayushman Bharat scheme has been linked with the existing state scheme ‘Aarogyasri’.
- This converged scheme is being called Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY Aarogyasri.
- With Telangana now implementing the Ayushman Bharat Scheme, the programme now includes a total of 33 states and union territories.
- The scheme aims to cover the poor or vulnerable households who are unable to afford even essential healthcare.
- Under the scheme, NHA and State Health Agency (SHA) will ensure that the eligible population of the state will get the benefit of free healthcare services across the country.
- Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY scheme’s launch in Telangana is a significant milestone towards achieving Ayushman Bharat.
- The inclusion of Telangana is expected to approximately benefit 26 lakhs of beneficiary families, almost around 1.3 crore individuals as per SECC 2011 data.
About Ayushman Bharat Scheme (AB-PMJAY):
- The Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) was launched on September 23, 2018.
- This scheme was launched with the aim of providing free access to healthcare to 50 crore people in India who can access primary care services from a family doctor.
- Under the Ayushman Bharat Scheme, beneficiaries get free healthcare coverage of up to Rs 5 lakhs per family per year.
- Coverage is provided for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation.
- Beneficiaries can avail these Health services in any of 22,000 empanelled public and private hospitals across India as scheme is portable.
- The ministry later established the National Health Authority as an organization to administer the program.
About National Health Authority (NHA):
- National Health Agency (NHA) was reconstituted as the National Health Authority on 2 January 2019, under Gazette Notification Registered No. DL –(N) 04/0007/2003-18.
- On 2 January 2019, the organization renamed itself to become the “National Health Authority.”
- National Health Authority (NHA) is the apex body responsible for implementing India’s flagship public health insurance/assurance scheme called “Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana” (AB-PMJAY) at a national level.
- NHA has been entrusted with the role of designing strategy, building technological infrastructure and implementation of “National Digital Health Mission” (NDGM) to create a National Digital Health Eco-system in coordination with different ministries/departments of the Government of India, State Governments, and private sector/civil society organizations.
State Health Agencies (SHAs):
- State Health Agencies (SHAs) in the form of a society/trust have been set up by respective States.
- SHAs have full operational autonomy over the implementation of the scheme in the State including extending the coverage to non SECC beneficiaries.
- Telangana is a state in India situated on the centre-south stretch of the Indian peninsula on the high Deccan Plateau.
- It was founded on 2 June 2014.
- Its Capital city is Hyderabad.
- The current Governor and Chief Minister of Telangana are Tamilisai Soundararajan and K. Chandrashekar Rao respectively.