Tokyo Olympics-Javelin Throw: Neeraj Chopra creates history by becoming the first-ever Indian athlete to win individual gold at the Olympic Games on August 7, 2021.
- Neeraj Chopra won India’s first gold medal in the javelin throw event with a throw of 87.58m, finishing at the top of the table.
- He is the second Indian-ever to win an individual gold after Abhinav Bindra, who won gold in Men’s 10m air rifle in shooting in the 2008 Olympic Games.
- His winning the gold medal has taken India’s medal tally at Tokyo Olympics 2020 to seven.
- This is India’s highest-ever medal haul at the Olympics after the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- India’s previous-best medal tally was six medals at the 2012 London Olympic Games, which included two silver and four bronze medals.