The US space agency NASA (NASA) recently celebrated Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month.
- NASA celebrates the month of May as Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month to honor the contribution of its amazing employees.
- The American aeronautics organization , this May 2021, to celebrate the contributions of its Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) employees, both past and present, has organized a variety of internal and external events and products.
- The events are centered on the theme: `Advancing Leaders Through Purpose-Driven Service`.
- This year’s AAPI Heritage Month brings heightened awareness and significance, given the recent violence directed against Asian Americans.”
Legislation passed by US Senate:
- The hate crimes against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders had been increasing in the US lately.
- So, the US Senate in April 2021 passed a bill to combat the rise of hate crimes against the Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
- The bill supports the local law enforcements in controlling the hate crimes.
- The hate crimes are the highest in California.
- Of all the states in the US, California has the highest Asian population.
Who is Pacific Islander and Asian Americans?
- Pacific Islander Americans are Americans who are of Pacific Islander ancestry (or are descendants of the indigenous peoples of Oceania or of Austronesian descent).
- They are also known as Pacific Islanders, Pacificer, Pasefika, or Pasifika.
- Pacific Island is a geographic and ethnic/racial term to describe the inhabitants and diaspora of any of the three major sub-regions of Oceania (Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia).
Note: New Zealand has the largest population of Pacific Islanders in the world.
- The Asian Americans are Americans of Asian ancestry.
- They are naturalized Americans who are immigrants from Asia may also identify as Asian-Americans.
What is the term Naturalization mean?
- Naturalization is a legal act by which a non-citizen of a country can acquire citizenship.
EU approves participation of US, Canada, Norway, in PESCO Defence initiative.