The 49-year-old leader of the right-wing Yamina party, Naftali Bennett has become the new Prime Minister of Israel.
- The Israeli parliament Knesset elected him as the 13th Prime Minister by a 60-59 vote in the 120-member house.
- The Knesset voted on the new coalition government led by Mr. Bennett. His government has 27 ministers, nine of them women.
- Mr Bennett will be prime minister until September 2023 as part of a power-sharing deal. He will then hand power over to Yair Lapid for a further two years.
- With this win, he has ended 12 unbroken years of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the helm.
- An eight-party alliance, ranging from the right-wing Jewish Nationalist Yamina party to Arab lawmakers, was formed early this month by centrist politician Yair Lapid centrist and ultra-nationalist Bennett.
About Naftali Bennett:
- He is son of American-born parents who speaks perfect English.
- He is a religious Jew who began life with his parents in Haifa.
- He kept moving between North America and Israel for military service, law school and private sector.
- He is an ultra-nationalist and & hard-right leader.
- He served in elite Sayeret Matkal commando unit after which he went to law school at Hebrew University.
- He co-founded an anti-fraud software company called Cyota in 1999.
- Cyota was sold to U.S.-based RSA Security in 2005.
- He is a religious-nationalist and a multi-millionaire former tech entrepreneur who has also served as defence minister.
- He was driven int politics because of a bitter experience of Israel’s 2006 war against Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
India and Israel Ties:
- India and Israel share a strong bilateral tie since 1950 with Indian PM Jawaharlal Nehru reiterating his position to recognise Israel as a state.
- India’s relationship with Israel has also grown during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s administration even though India abstaining from voting against Israel in United Nations on several resolutions.
- It is expected to grow with same pace in new regime as well.
- Currently, India is the largest buyer of Israeli military equipment while Israel is second-largest defence supplier to India after Russia.
- India is the third-largest Asian trade partner and tenth-largest trade partner overall of Israel.
- Israel formally known as the State of Israel is a country in Western Asia.
- It is located on the southeastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea and the northern shore of the Red Sea.
- It is regarded as the biblical Holy Land by Jews, Muslims and christians.
- Its most sacred sites are in Jerusalem which is also the Capital of Israel.
- The currency used here is Israeli Shekel.
- The current President and Prime Minister of Israel are Isaac Herzog Prime Minister and Naftali Bennett respectively.