Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has been appointed as the Deputy Leader of the House in the Rajya Sabha.
- Mr. Naqvi, 63, has succeeded Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal, who has now taken over as the leader of House in the Rajya Sabha.
- The minority affairs minister, a trusted organization man of the BJP for decades, is a seasoned parliamentarian and had served as the minister of state for parliamentary affairs during the first term of the Modi government.
- He is the only Muslim face in the Cabinet.
- He was also a member of the council of ministers in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
About the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha:
- The Deputy Chairman is chosen by the Rajya Sabha from amongst its members.
- He is elected internally by the Rajya Sabha.
- The Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha presides over the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha in the absence of the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
- He has the same power as the Chairman when presiding over the Council and all references to the Chairman in these rules shall in these circumstances be deemed to be, references to any such person so presiding.