Para Sport Cup in Peru: Madhya Pradesh shooter, Rubina Francis has set a world record at the ongoing Para Sport Cup in Peru.
- She has won gold in the 10-meter air pistol para-event for women.
- This 21-year-old scored 238.1 points and beat the world record of Aysegul Pehlivanlar of Turkey
- This win also secured her the quota for India at the Tokyo Summer Paralympics 2020.
About Rubina Francis:
- Rubina Francis (born 1999) is an Indian para pistol shooter.
- She is currently ranked number five by the International Shooting Sport Federation in Women’s 10m Air Pistol SH1 (World Shooting Para Sports Rankings).
- She also participated in the 2018 Asian Para Games P2 – Women’s 10M Air Pistol (SH1 Events).
- Over the years, she has earned more than 15 medals from national and international events.
- Currently, Rubina is training under the guidance of Jaspal Rana, former shooter and coach of the Junior Indian Pistol Shooting Team.
- The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) is the governing body of the Olympic Shooting events in rifle, pistol and shotgun (clay target) disciplines, and of several non-Olympic Shooting sport events.
- It was founded in 1907 as the International Shooting Union and then it changed its name in 1998.
- The ISSF affiliates nowadays over 150 National Shooting Federations from Africa, America, Asia, Europe and Oceania.
- ISSF’s activities include regulation of the sport, Olympic qualifications and organization of international competitions such as the ISSF World Cup Series, the ISSF World Cup Finals, the ISSF Separate World Championship in Shotgun events and the ISSF World Championship in all events.