The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, gave its approval on March 16, 2021 on the memorandum of understanding (MoU) on cooperation in sports & youth affairs between India and Maldives.
The MoU was signed on November, 2020. It was signed between Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of India and Ministry of Youth, Sports and Community Empowerment of Maldives.
- The bilateral exchange programmes in the field of sports and youth affairs between India and Maldives will help in expanding knowledge and expertise in the area of sports science, sports medicine, coaching techniques, participation in youth festivals and camps which would result in improvement in performance of our sportspersons in international tournaments.
- The MoU will strengthening of bilateral relations between India and Maldives.
- The MoU will benefit all the sportspersons of India belonging to any of the region, caste, creed, gender, and religion equally.
- India and Maldives established a diplomatic relation after Maldives got independence from British rule in the year 1966.
- India was the first country that recognised the independence of the island nation.
- Following that, both the countries have developed close strategic, economic, military and cultural relations.
- In December 1976, both the countries signed the Maritime Boundary Treaty to agree on maritime boundaries. This treaty places “Minicoy Island” to the Indian side of boundary.
- In 1981, both India and Maldives signed a comprehensive trade agreement.
- The two countries are founding members of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and South Asian Economic Union.
- They are also signatories to the South Asia Free Trade Agreement.