National Road Safety Board: Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) recently notified the constitution of a “National Road Safety Board”.
- The Board will be responsible for promoting road safety, innovation and adoption of new technology.
- It will also be responsible for regulating traffic and motor vehicles.
- The notification also specifies provisions for the composition, eligibility for Chairman & Members of the Board, term of office, selection process, powers & functions of the board, procedure of resignation & removal, meetings of the Board etc.
About National Road Safety Board:
- The Head Office of National Road Safety Board will be established in the National Capital Region.
- Board might establish offices at other places as well in India.
- The road safety board will comprise of the Chairman.
- Apart from that, these will be not less than 3members and more than 7 members.
- All the members will be appointed by the Central Government.
- The Board shall be responsible for promoting road safety, innovation and adoption of new technology and for regulating traffic and motor vehicles.
- For the above said purposes, the Board shall formulate the following:-
- Specific standards for road safety, traffic management and road construction for hilly regions.
- Guidelines for capacity building and development of skills for traffic police, hospital authorities, highway authorities, educational and research organizations and other organizations.
- Guidelines for establishing and operating trauma facilities and para-medical facilities, for consideration by the Central Government.
The Board will also provide technical advice and assistance to Central, State, and local authorities on road safety & traffic management.