Fire Detection and Protection system: The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has issued a Draft Notification on 21st September 2021 for introducing the Fire Alarm System and Fire Protection System in the Passenger (or Occupant) Compartment in buses, through an amendment in AIS (Automotive Industry Standard)-135.
- Currently, fire detection, alarm and suppression systems are notified for fires originating from the engine compartment only.
- The draft notification is intended for fire detection and protection in the passenger compartment for Type III buses.
Note: ‘Type III’ buses are those designed and constructed for long-distance seated passenger transport) and School Buses.
- A water mist- based active fire protection system has been designed and developed by MoRTH in consultation with various stakeholders, including DRDO alongwith a fire alarm system.
- Simulation studies have demonstrated that the designed system is able to manage the temperature in the passenger compartment within 50 degree C centigrade in less than 30 seconds of mist operation.
What are the AIS and TAC certifications for India?
About AIS Certification:
- The Automotive Industry Standards (India AIS) are issued by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH), which is the ministry regulating the automotive sector in India.
- AIS certification was introduced in 1989 with the adoption of the India Central Motor Vehicles Rules (CMVR).
- AIS certification is required for automotive components.
- These products all have in common that they are subject to safety or electromagnetic compatibility requirements.
Products Covered by AIS Certification:
Currently, it concerns for example the following products:
- Automotive Electronics
- Seat belts
- Door locks
- Brake Hoses
- Fuel tanks
- TAC is the abbreviation for Type Approval Certificate.
- TAC is issued for products that need to meet special technical and safety requirements.
- TAC approval must be obtained before the product is introduced to the market.
- Morth (Ministry of Road Transport and Highways) is responsible for issuing the certification.
- MoRTH refers to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is a ministry of the Government of India (GoI).
- Morth is the apex body for formulation and administration of the rules, regulations and laws relating to road transport, transport research.
- Its task is also to increase the mobility and efficiency of the road transport system in India.
- It was founded in July 1942.
- The current Union Minister of Morth is Nitin Gadkari .