Baijayant Panda Committee: The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has recently constituted a High-Level Expert Committee, under the chairmanship of former Member of Parliament Shri Baijayant Panda.
- This committee has been constituted for a comprehensive review of National Cadet Corps (NCC) in order to make it more relevant in changed times.
The Terms of Reference of the Committee, inter-alia, broadly provide for the following:
- To suggest measures which can empower NCC cadets to contribute more effectively towards nation building and national developmental efforts in various sectors;
- To propose measures for gainful engagement of its Alumni for betterment of the organization as a whole and
- To recommend best practices of similar international youth organizations for the inclusion in NCC curriculum.
Members of the Committee:
The Chairperson of the committee is Shri Baijayant Panda, a former Member of Parliament.
Other member includes:
- Col. (Retd) Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
- Vinay Sahasrabuddhe
- Anand Mahindra
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Sanjeev Sanyal
- Prof. Najma Akhtar
- Prof. Vasudha Kamat
- Mukul Kanitkar
- Maj. Gen. Alok Raj (Retd)
- Milind Kamble
- Rituraj Sinha
- Vedika Bhandarkar
- Anand Shah
- Mayank Tewari
- It is an acronym for National Cadet Corps.
- The NCC is the youth wing of Armed Forces of India.
- It is the largest uniformed organization which aims at developing character, discipline, a secular outlook and ideals of selfless service amongst young citizens.
- It is a Tri-Services Organization, comprising the Army, Navy and Air Wing, engaged in creating a pool of organized, trained and motivated youth with leadership qualities in all walks of life.
- It operates under the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- It is also the largest uniformed youth organization of the country.
- It was formed on 16 April 1948.
- Since its inception the NCC cadets have been contributing to the national cause during natural calamities like cyclone, floods etc.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- The motto of NCC is “Unity and discipline”.
- The current Director-General of NCC is Lt Gen Tarun Kumar Aich.