Minister of Tribal Affairs Shri Arjun Munda, recently virtually launched the nationwide campaign ‘COVID Teeka Sang Surakshit Van, Dhan aur Uddyam.’
- This campaign is being launched in partnership with UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund) and WHO (World Health Organization) to increase the COVID-19 vaccination of 10.5 crores tribal people in India.
- It will help in beating “infodemic” against coronavirus vaccine and myths, rumours, disinformation & misinformation that are adding to infodemic.
- It focuses on reassurance, pride & self-efficacy and promotes ‘COVID Teeka Sang Surakshit Van Dhan aur Uddyam’ in tribal areas.
- This campaign seeks to make the Van Dhan Vikas Kendras and villages to be the first in respective states to be declared COVID free and free of all restrictions.
- The campaign will leverage the 45,000 Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVK) of the Tribal Co-operative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
Note: TRIFED is a national level cooperative body under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India (GoI).
- The campaign is an important step at vaccinating the tribal people to ensure that the tribal areas are not impacted by the third wave of the pandemic.
- The ground-level workers in villages, SHGs, traditional village headsmen, and the Van Dhan Kendras will be the focal points to implement the campaign.
- The main objective of this campaign is at keeping the tribal communities safe from COVID-19 and enables them to continue with their livelihood activities.
- The goal of the campaign is to spread awareness among more than 50 lakh tribals about the free COVID-19 vaccination available at nearby centres and that getting vaccinated protects them from hospitalization and death.
The 3 Js of the Campaign:
The campaign will be focusing on three key areas:
- Jeevan (Life): Every life and livelihood is precious and vaccination is key to life.
- Jeevika (Livelihood): Vaccination will help in continuing Van Dhan Vikas Kendra and livelihood activities without any fear of contracting the disease. It will also save hospitalization and other opportunity costs.
- Jaagrookta (Awareness): Simplification of the registration process for vaccination, place, accessibility to different people and age groups, including women & elderly population.
Significance of Campaign:
- This campaign will leverage the strength and network of Self-Help Groups and other common points like Haats & Bazaars, Common Service Centres, fertilizers outlet centres, VDVKs & milk collection points.
How this campaign will run?
- The Campaign will be run by using wall paintings comprising tribal motifs in a bid to promote vaccine uptake and COVID Appropriate Behaviour.
- It will also use non-traditional partnerships and community reach such as involvement of traditional leaders like tadvis/patels, incentivizing the adoption of vaccines using local health structures in order to vaccinate Tribal populations.
About Van Dhan Yojana:
- The Van Dhan Scheme is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED.
- The scheme was launched on 14 April 2018 to create livelihood generation for tribal gatherers and transform them into entrepreneurs.
- This scheme is implemented through the Ministry of Tribal Affairs as Nodal Department at the Central Level and TRIFED as Nodal Agency at the National Level.
- At the State level, the State Nodal Agency for MFPs and the District collectors are envisaged to play a pivot role in scheme implementation at the grassroots level.
- Locally the Kendras are proposed to be managed by a Managing Committee (an SHG) consisting of representatives of Van Dhan SHGs in the cluster.
- Under Van Dhan Yojana Van Dhan Vikas Kendra (VDVK) is established for providing skill upgradation and capacity building training and setting up of primary processing and value addition facility.
- Each VDVK cluster set under the scheme contains 15 tribal SHGs (Self-help groups) i.e. about 300 beneficiaries per cluster and the Government provides Rs. 15 lakhs for each cluster.
- It refers to the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India.
- TRIFED is a national-level apex organization.
- It functions under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- It was founded in 1987.
- It works towards the marketing development of tribal products and provides marketing support to the products made by tribals through a network of retail outlets.
- It is a component of the ‘Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP’.
- The idea is to set up tribal community-owned Van Dhan Vikas Kendra Clusters (VDVKCs) in predominantly forested tribal districts.
- The current Managing Director of TRIFED Pravir Krishn