On May 17, 2021, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MTA) and Microsoft signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the joint initiative for the Digital Transformation of Tribal Schools.
- This includes the introduction of Ashram Schools and Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS) in tribal areas.
- The collaboration aims to skill educators and students in next-generation digital technologies including Artificial Intelligence.
Key points of the Programme:
Under the affirmative action initiative, Microsoft will make an Artificial Intelligence (AI) curriculum available for the tribal students in Hindi and English.
In the first phase of the programme, 250 EMRS schools have been adopted by Microsoft out of which 50 EMRS schools will be given intensive training.
Five hundred master trainers will be trained in a phased manner to use AI application and productive technologies such as Office 365.
This will introduce the teachers to the world of collaboration and help them understand how teaching shall be increased with virtual field trips.
The teachers will also be provided with E-Certificates and E-badges from the Microsoft Education centres at the end of the programme.
Benefits of the Programme:
- This Microsoft program will be able to bridge the gap between the tribal students and others.
- The programme will prove beneficial in terms of readiness, preparedness of the students at various international forums.
- It will make sure the students get an opportunity to change their village, environment and overall community.
- It will help to create talent pool.
- This will act as an asset to the country.
- It aims to create a continuous process creating repository of knowledge.
- The programme will work in such a way that the knowledge earned is passed on from one generation to the other.
- The students will be mentored on AI applications and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- They will be exposed to gamified environments such as Minecraft. This will be done to increase their thinking skills.
- Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company.
- Microsoft was founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen on 4 April 1975 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States.
- It is headquartered in Redmond, Washington.
- It is considered one of the Big Five companies in the U.S. information technology industry, along with Google, Apple, Amazon, and Facebook.
- It develops, manufactures, licenses supports, and sells computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and related services.