World Coconut Day 2021: Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) celebrated World Coconut Day on 2nd September 2021 to commemorate the foundation day of the International Coconut Community.
Note: International Coconut community is an inter-governmental organization of coconut-producing countries under the aegis of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, UN-ESCAP.
- The function was also addressed by the Ministers of State for Agriculture Shobha Karandlaje and Kailash Choudhary and Agriculture Secretary Sanjay Agarwal.
- The theme for the 23rd World Coconut Day celebrations for 2021 is Building a safe, inclusive resilient, and sustainable coconut community amid the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
About World Coconut Day:
- Every year, September 2, 2021, is observed as World Coconut Day.
- This day is celebrated to emphasize and raise awareness about the importance as well as benefits of coconuts.
- Coconut Development Board (CBD) celebrates Coconut Day every year to create increased awareness on the importance of coconut and focus national and international attention on the coconut sector.
- This day started in 2009, on the day when the Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) was founded.
- APCC is an intergovernmental organization that supervises and facilitates Asian-pacific states that produce coconuts.
- The APCC is headquartered in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Coconut production in India:
- India currently is the third largest coconut producer with Indonesia at the top.
- In India, states such as Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Goa, West Bengal, etc. are the major producers of coconut.
- Coconut is one of the most loved and versatile fruits.
- It belongs to the drupe family.
- It is a fleshy fruit that has been planting in tropical regions.
- It is not just edible, but you can also use its oil for skin benefits.
- A rich source of electrolytes and lauric acid, coconuts contain many antioxidants and antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral.
- They are produced in more than 80 countries around the world.
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare (MoA&FW) is a branch of the Government of India (GoI).
- It is the apex body for formulation and administration of the rules and regulations and laws related to agriculture in India.
- The three broad areas of scope for the Ministry are agriculture, food processing, and cooperation.
- It was formed in 1947 and is headquartered in New Delhi.
- Currently, the agriculture ministry is headed by Minister of Agriculture Narendra Singh Tomar and the Minister of State in the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare is Shri Kailash Choudhary.