The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) recently announced the names of flagbearers for the Indian contingent of Tokyo 2020.
- IOA President Narinder Batra said in an official letter that The flagbearers for the Indian contingent of Tokyo 2020 for the opening ceremony on July 23rd are Mary Kom and Manpreet Singh.
- The flagbearer for the Indian contingent at the closing ceremony on August 8 will be Bajrang Punia.
- In a first, India is having two flag-bearers — one male and one female — at the upcoming Tokyo Games to ensure “gender parity”.
- The IOA has communicated the decision in this regard to the Organizing Committee of the Games.
Indian Contingent for Tokyo Olympics:
IOA president Batra confirmed that the total contingent for the Olympics.
- The total contingent for the Olympics would be around 126 athletes and 75 officials, and as a result, the total contingent would be around 201.
- The contingent comprises 56 percent of men and 44 percent of women.
- It has 76 quota places and will compete in about 85 medal positions.
The Tokyo Olympics would be held from July 23 to August 8.
The event was slated to be held last year, but it had to be postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 400m sprinter Purma Banerjee was the first Indian to carry the national flag at the opening ceremony of the Games at the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Seventeen athletes have carried the Indian flag at the opening ceremony of the Games, with eight of them being Olympic medallists.
- Abhinav Bindra, the country’s only individual gold medallist, and Lal Shah Bhokhari, Dhyan Chand, Balbir Singh Sr. and Zafar Iqbal were also among India’s flag bearers.
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) is the body responsible for selecting athletes to represent India at the Olympic Games, Asian Games, and other international athletic meets and for managing the Indian teams at these events.
- The IOA was established in 1927 with Sir Dorabji Tata and Dr. A.G. Noehren as the Founding President and Secretary-General respectively.
- It also acts as the Indian Commonwealth Games Association, responsible for selecting athletes to represent India at the Commonwealth Games.
- The current President of IOA is Narendra Batra.