Lovlina Borgohain: Indian boxer Lovlina Borgohain (69kg) became only the third Indian boxer to win an Olympic medal as she took home the bronze in the women’s welterweight category.
- She roared into the semi-final of the women’s welterweight category after beating Chinese Taipei’s Chen Nien-Chin by a split decision.
- The 23-year-old boxer from Assam, participating in her first Olympic Games, showed great technical acumen as she edged the first round 3-2 and then stamped her authority on the bout by making a clean sweep in the second round.
- The Indian boxer was dominant in the final round too as she won it 4-1 to eventually win by a split decision margin of 4-1.
- Lovlina Borgohain is the third Indian boxer to win Olympic bronze following legendary boxers.
- India’s previous boxing medals have come through Vijender Singh (2008) and M C Mary Kom (2012).
- Including the bronze medal of Lovlina, India has acquired three medals till date.
- Earlier, Mirabai Chanu won silver in weightlifting and PV Sindhu won bronze in badminton women’s individual event.
About Lovlina Borgohain:
- Lovlina Borgohain belongs to the Golaghat district of Assam.
- She started her career as a kickboxer and switched to boxing after getting an opportunity from the field.
- She was selected to participate in the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the welterweight boxing category.
Medals won by Lovlina:
The following are the medals won by Lovlina:
- Gold medal at International Boing Championship in February 2018 in the welterweight category.
- Bronze medal at Asian Boxing Championships in Vietnam in 2017.
- Bronze medal at the President’s Cup in Astana in June 2017.
- Silver medal at Ulaanbaatar Cup in Mongolia in June 2018.
- Bronze medal at 13th International Silesian Championship in Poland in September 2018.
- She also represented India at the 2018 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championship in New Delhi and won the bronze medal in the 69 kg category.