Lewis Hamilton of the United Kingdom, on 18th July 2021 has won the Formula One British Grand Prix at Silverstone for a record eighth time.
- This was the 99th win of Hamilton’s career who has also won the world championship seven times, fourth of the current campaign and one of the more controversial in his long list of achievements.
- The Mercedes driver, now only eight points behind Red Bull’s Verstappen after 10 races, passed Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc with two laps to go as a capacity 140,000 crowd rose to cheer on their home hero.
- Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) came second while Hamilton’s teammate Valtteri Bottas finished third.
- On the opening lap of the British Grand Prix Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen, were involved in a high-speed collision as Hamilton tried to overtake the Verstappen.
- Verstappen crashed out on the first lap after suffering the biggest accident of his career when he crashed out at Copse corner.
- Hamilton’s front-left wheel touched Verstappen’s back-right tire.
- Due to this Verstappen spun off the track and crashed into the barriers.
- Later, Verstappen was seen walking away from his crashed car.
- Due to the collision, Hamilton was given a time penalty but in a dramatic conclusion to the race, he overtook Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc to secure his eighth British GP victory.
About British Grand Prix:
- The British Grand Prix is a motor race that is organized in the United Kingdom (UK).
- This race is organized by the Royal Automobile Club.
- It was first held in the year 1926.
- Since the year 1948, the British Grand Prix has been held annually.
- Every year since 1950 it has been a round of the FIA Formula One World Championship.