The Income Tax Department launched its new e-filing portal on June 7, 2021.
- The new portal can be accessed through www.incometax.gov.in.
- The new e-filing portal is aimed at providing a modern, seamless and more convenient experience to the taxpayers.
About the New e-filing portal:
- The new taxpayer-friendly portal has been integrated with the immediate processing of Income Tax Returns and quick refunds to taxpayers.
- The portal will display all interactions and uploads or pending actions on a single dashboard for follow-up action by the taxpayer.
- It will act as a one-stop center for all such actions.
- The portal offers free-of-cost ITR preparation software with interactive questions to help taxpayers.
- It will enable taxpayers to proactively update their profile to provide certain details of income including salary, house property and profession, which will be used in pre-filling their ITR.
- It will also enable pre-filling with salary income, interest, dividend and capital gains after TDS and SFT statements are uploaded and the due date for the same is June 30, 2021.
- The new portal will also include a new call center for taxpayer assistance for prompt response to taxpayer queries.
- It will provide detailed FAQs, User Manuals, Videos and chatbot/live agent.
- It would comprise of functionalities for filing Income Tax Forms, Add tax professionals, Submit responses to Notices in Faceless Scrutiny or Appeals would be available.
- The new tax payment system will be launched on June 18th, 2021 after the advance tax installment date to avoid any taxpayer inconvenience.
- A mobile app will also be released by IT department subsequently after the initial launch of the portal, to enable taxpayers to get familiar with the several features.
- The Income Tax Department (also referred to as IT Department or ITD) is a government agency undertaking direct tax collection of the Government of India (GoI).
- It functions under the Department of Revenue of the Ministry of Finance.
- Income Tax Department is headed by the apex body Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- The main responsibility of the IT Department is to enforce various direct tax laws, the most important among these being the Income-tax Act, 1961, to collect revenue for GoI.
- It also enforces other economic laws like the Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act, 1988and the Black Money Act, 2015.