Euro Cup 2020: Italy has won the Euro Cup 2020 champions after a shootout win over England last night.
- Italy beat England 3-2 on penalties after the Euro 2020 final ended 1-1 following extra time at Italy beat England 3-2 on penalties after the Euro 2020 final ended 1-1 following extra time at Wembley to secure their second European Championship title.
- Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma was the hero for the Azzurri in the shootout, while substitutes Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka failed to convert from the spot for England.
- Azzurri had last won the continental title back in 1968.
- It was the first final to be decided on penalties since Czechoslovakia beat West Germany in 1976.
- Italy had lost in the final in 2000 and 2012.
- This is the first major international trophy won by Italy since their 2006 FIFA World Cup win.
About UEFA European Football Championship:
- European Championship, formally UEFA European Championship, also called Euro, in football (soccer), a quadrennial tournament held between the member countries of the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA).
- The European Championship is second in prestige to the World Cup among international football tournaments.
- The first final of the European Championship (then known as the European Nations’ Cup) took place in 1960 after two years of preliminary contests between 17 national football clubs.
- In 1960 the Euro final tournament consisted of four teams, but it expanded to eight teams in 1980 and 16 teams in 1996.
- The idea for a pan-European football tournament was first proposed by the French Football Federation’s secretary-general Henri Delaunay in 1927, but it was not until 1958 that the tournament was started, three years after Delaunay’s death.
- In honour of Delaunay, the trophy awarded to the champions is named after him.
- Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) is the administrative body for football, beach soccer and futsal in Europe.
- It is among 6 continental confederations of world football’s governing body FIFA.
- It comprises of 55 national association members. Apart from representing national football associations of Europe.
- It runs nation & club competitions such as UEFA European Championship, UEFA Nations League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Europa Conference League, UEFA Champions League, and UEFA Super Cup.
- It also controls the prize money, regulations and media rights for these competitions.