International Yoga Day is observed every year on June 21. This day is celebrated annually on June 21, since 2015.
The idea behind the day is to create awareness about yoga and its many benefits.
This year is the seventh edition of the International Yoga Day.
Theme of 2021:
The theme this of 2021 is ‘Yoga for wellness’.
The theme focuses on practicing Yoga for physical as well as mental wellbeing.
- On the occasion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “When whole world is combating Covid-19 pandemic, yoga remains a ray of hope.”
- Prime Minister launched “mYoga app” and it will be available worldwide.
- mYoga app was launched in collaboration with WHO.
- The ministry of culture will organize a special drive named ‘Yoga An Indian Heritage’ at 75 cultural heritage locations.
- India Post will issue a special cancellation stamp on all mail booked on June 21 to capture the essence of International Yoga Day.
- The special pictorial cancellation stamp will be an inked marking or impression with a graphical design with International Day of Yoga 2021 written in both Hindi and English.
About mYoga App:
- mYoga App will provide yoga training videos in different languages for people worldwide. It will also help in achieving the motto of ‘One World, One Health’.
- On December 11, 2014, the United Nations General Assembly had declared June 21 as ‘International Day of Yoga’, months after PM Modi had proposed the idea.
- June 21st was suggested because it is the longest day of year in Northern Hemisphere & having a special significance across the world.