International Museum Day (IMD) is observed on May 18 every year to raise awareness among people about the museums.
- The various events and activities on IMD are organized by the International Council of Museums (ICOM).
- IMD is significant for creating awareness about the role of museums in the development of society on an international level.
- It brings people together as ‘access to all’ is one of the most important aspects of IMD.
Theme for 2021:
The theme for International Museum Day 2021 is “The Future of Museums: Recover and Reimagine.”
- ICOM has invited museum professionals and the community to offer innovative business models in order to overcome the economic, social and environmental changes which they are facing at the moment.
- According to ICOM, the COVID-19 crisis has affected the museum sector and while there will be long and short term impacts, it also serves as a catalyst to discover innovative solutions.
- ICOM is advocating the potential of culture as a driver for recovery and innovation in the post-COVID era.
- The International Council of Museums (ICOM) is a non-governmental organization maintaining formal relations with UNESCO and having a consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
- It was created in 1946 by Chauncey J Hamlin.
- ICOM is headquartered in Paris, France.
- The current President of ICOM is Suay Aksoy.
- During the General Assembly of the council held in Russia in 1977, a resolution was adopted by ICOM, establishing the International Museum Day.
- It is considered that the idea for IMD was first developed in 1951 at a meeting of the international museum community, organized by ICOM. This meeting was called Crusade for Museums, where the idea of ‘Museum and Education’ was discussed.
- International Museum Day was first held in 1977.
- Since then it has gained increasing attention.
- Museums play an important part in the development of society as they enlighten us about the numerous unknowns and take us to places we have never been before.
- A museum describes the journey of a nation from prehistory to modernity by displaying enriched historical artifacts such as tools, weapons, clothes, and jewelry etc.
- Museums are the closest one can get to time travel.